Saturday, July 31, 2010

yoga retreat DIY style

This weekend my husband is visiting a friend in Ohio. I'm taking advantage of some alone time to connect in a deeper way to my practice. I like to do this by creating a "home retreat."
First order of business for an excellent home retreat is a clean home! You wouldn't want to show up at a retreat in Costa Rica where the place was cluttered and dusty. Your home retreat should be just as nice. Think of the cleaning less as an obstacle and more as a practice in and of itself.
Second, create conditions so that you do have to leave your retreat unless you want to. Silence the cell phone, turn off the tv, alarm clocks, etc. Take a shopping trip for your retreat and get the essentials:

Food: avocados, leafy greens, brown rice, fresh fruits.
For self care: tea tree oil, sesame oil, body brush.

And then settle in.

My retreat so far has been extremely relaxing. Last night I had some eggplant for dinner, did a deep hip opening yin sequence, and then meditated for 35 minutes chanting the Anusara opening chant. This morning, I went on a tour of local farms, got to pet some awesome doggies and goats, learned about bees and visited a vineyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.