Sunday, August 29, 2010

chewing 100 times?



I just finished reading The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics. Besides the fact that a dear friend swears by the Macrobiotic lifestyle/diet, I knew nothing about it before opening the book.

Many of the books principals seemed logical to me: the balancing of energy (yin and yang) through our food. I definitely will incorporate some of it into my own practices.

However, one of the bits of advice was to chew your food (particularly grains) between 50 and 100 times. When I attempt this, I rarely get to 50 before my food is completely pulverized and practically disintegrated. I like the idea of bringing this level of mindfulness to your eating. But I do find myself wondering about the logistics...Is Jessica Porter, the author, taking much bigger forkfuls than I tend to?

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the way that our foods can affect us or just generally curious about this practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.