Sunday, August 22, 2010

delicious accident

One of my favorite pasttimes is experimenting in the kitchen. Occasionally, I consult recipes and cookbooks to get information on cooking times and inspiration, but usually, I'm throwing together what I have on hand.

This dish was born of forgetfulness. It's an old standby I think I got from a Wholefoods flier. While I bought the key ingredients (frozen veg and tofu) I neglected the seasoning ingredients (the thai garlic chili paste and fish sauce). What I came up with through substitution was amazing:

Thai (inspired - I've never been to Thailand :) Basil Coconut Curry with Tofu and Veg

1 package frozen organic veggies
1/2 onion sliced
3-4 cloves garlic sliced
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 package extra firm tofu (works best if you weight it and press out the liquid for a few hours, but ok if not)
fistful of basil
splash of soy sauce
splash of siracha

Saute the onion in some vegetable oil until they are translucent and a little bit golden, add in the garlic and saute a few more minutes. Add the frozen veg for about 5 minutes. Cut the tofu into little cubes and add to the dish with coconut milk. Saute until tofu is heated through. It won't brown but should stay firm. Careful not to stir too much and break up the tofu.

Serve with rice and garnish with basil, soy sauce and siracha to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.