Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall is time for change

I have always had mixed feelings about the fall. Growing up in the Northeast, I'm fond of the beautiful fall colors and the radiant light that comes at this time of the year. I still get excited about wearing new school clothes and snuggling up in cozy hoodies with my husband and cats.

But fall also is the end of the summer, my favorite season. It's colder and the days are shorter. Before my path brought me to yoga, I really struggled with seasonal depression. I would fall asleep at 6pm and find myself unable to do anything social.

Yoga, and particularly, my morning mysore practice, has made a huge impact in my reaction to this time of the year. I am more equipped to sit with the weather and fading light and I have a routine and something to look forward to in the morning.

I have also adopted a biannual cleansing ritual under the guidance of my teacher Kate O'Donnell. She'll be running her group cleanse again towards the end of the month. You can read more about it and the virtual option at her blog www.one-yoga.blogspot.com.

I'll be participating in the virtual option. While I've been through this several times now, I feel that having a support group can make all the difference in between a successful cleanse and a less-successful cleanse.

As I cleanse this time around, I will post periodic updates. Be on the lookout later this week for my timeline and goals for my cleanse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.