Saturday, October 30, 2010

Feed the Bitch or she'll die

This line is about my sourdough starter, not about me as I near the end of my cleanse.  "Feed the bitch or she'll die" is a line from the amazing Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain (I love him!  He's like a Hans Solo who can cook - yes, I'm that nerdy).  I highly recommend the book especially if you like his series No Reservations.  He writes like he talks.  In this case that's not a bad thing.

Anyway, I have been making sourdough bread since August.  I was initially turned on to the idea by the Nourished Kitchen.  It's almost sinfully easy to do once you get started.  Here's a really good website on the process.

Admittedly, the first few batches took a long time to rise and were still quite dense.  But after the first month, we had loaves with a nice crumb and perfect crust. And we never cheated by using packaged yeast!

I usually make two loaves a week either on Saturday or Sunday. This yields plenty of bread for the week and then some.  Now that I'm comfortable with the process, I've started experimenting.  Today I made one loaf with wheat flour and added fresh home grown alfalfa sprouts.  Shawn said it tasted like "lying in a field of grass in the summer."  It smells that good, too.  The other loaf I made with a smashed up leftover sweet potato, oat flour and oats.  He didn't dive into that one yet.



I'll get to try both when the cleanse is over.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.