Sunday, November 21, 2010

come in royogini are you out there?

The long silence from this end has been due to a few different recent events.  Last week, I was at a conference in Philadelphia for my bills-paying profession.  There was not a lot of yoga related activity during the time I was there.  I packed my mat with good intentions, but the yoga studio there was holding a sold out workshop instead of Mysore-style practice and I was uninspired to do yoga in my hotel room.  I was inspired to over indulge with some friends that I haven't seen in a long time.  The brief departure from my yoga life was worth it.

Then last week I was participating in a professional development workshop through my job.  It was a week long "Humanity Academy" which addressed the topics of diversity and tolerance and becoming a change agent.  It was a really intense workshop as we were encouraged to look inward at our own biases and privileges.


Throughout the week, I kept coming back to a piece I had read about mindful speaking.  One tool to use is to ask these three questions: Is it kind? Is it true?  Is it necessary?  So much of what we say doesn't fit all three.  It's a great way to keep oneself in check especially in these kinds of forums.

I was also really impressed with the openness of the other participants.  Everyone came with an open heart and mind and was ready to share and learn.

But now I'm back and preparing for the holiday.  Last night I took a full moon restorative class with Romi of Yoga with Romi (www.yogawithromi.com).  She's an amazingly gifted teacher.  The class literally consisted of four postures that I easily could have done on my own.  With her guided imagery and gentle instruction, I left feeling completely blissful.  It's great to have such a wonderful teacher right here in Lexington.


That's just one of the many things that I'll be grateful for this Thanksgiving.  What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.