Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday Sunday

I love Sundays.  And today's an extra special Sunday since we turned the clocks back an hour.  The cats were apparently not informed of this and woke me up anyway.

One of my favorite things about Sundays is our group practice.  It's the only day that I get to practice with other people.  I stick to primary since that's what everyone else does.  I do a speedy version of primary to keep up with my practice buddies.  My kapha imbalance tends to make for a very slow practice.  So it's good for me to work a little faster once I week. 


After practice I make me and Shawn a big brunch usually with an omelet and some greens.  Then I set to my bread baking for the week.

Sour dough is fun because you're working with a living entity that you have to nourish week to week.  The bread starts with the sour dough starter that I've been cultivating now for months.  I add to it 2 cups of flour and 2 cups of water and let it bubble up over night to become the "sponge."  Here's the sour dough "sponge" that I prepared last night. 



Left over night, it gets all bubbly and foamy. 

From here you can make a simple recipe:

2 cups of sponge
3 cups of flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tsp sugar (or honey)
2 tsp salt

Mix the sponge, olive oil, sugar and salt together in the mixer. Then add a half a cup of flour at a time until the dough won't take any more flour. Kneed and let rise.

Here's what my dough looks like:



This has already risen a little bit.  I'll let it go a few hours (when I first started, it took a long time.  Now my starter is strong and it rises better and faster). Then I'll punch it down and let it rise again.

After the second rise, bake for 45 minutes at 375 (don't preheat the oven).

I've been experimenting with different flours and ingredients.  Last week I added sprouts.  It was delicious.  I'm adding them again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.