Tuesday, November 9, 2010

tortilla espanola

I'm following my glum post with something much more tantalizing...food!  This is my favorite thing to do with leftover potatoes - inspired by the Spanish dish tortilla espanola:

at least four medium leftover potatoes (cooked: baked or boiled - it even works if they have been seasoned or butter was added)
 lots of olive oil
two cloves of garlic
spices to taste
4 eggs
Peas (optional)

Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil (do NOT be stingy!).  Heat the olive oil on medium high heat and add the garlic being careful not to burn. At this point you could also add spices like paprika or cumin.  Then add in your potatoes.  Leave them alone for about 10 minutes.  You want the potatoes to get really crusty on the bottom.  Beat the eggs together and pour over the potatoes.  If adding peas, do that now.  Cover with a lid and let cook for another 10 minutes or so. 

I used to perform acrobatics and attempt to flip the entire thing onto a plate to turn it over in the pan and cook the other side.  I've given up on that.  Only one side needs to be crusty.

Serve with some yummy bread and a light salad.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fantastic, I might have to try that one ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.