Saturday, July 9, 2011

new community

If it hasn't already been said, I am so grateful for the new Ashtanga community that I've found here in Philly.  They've really welcomed me with open arms.  I did my first 6 consecutive days of practice that I can remember in a very very long time. Each morning this week, I looked forward to getting up and riding my bike downtown to practice with my peers.  It probably doesn't hurt that I can get up at 6 and still have time to do a full unrushed practice before going to work...and actually arrive on time. In Kentucky, I would have to get up at 4:30 to do that.

This week, per G's instructions, I practiced Primary all week.  It felt really wonderful.  The series truly is therapeutic and every day I felt like I was ringing out more and more gunk.  G gives great adjustments and seemed to give me a different one every day.  We also worked on getting my hands to my heals in drop backs. By the end of the week, it was easy!

Also, G said that next week I can practice intermediate again!  Woohoo!  But now, of course I'm scared.  Why?  Well, pincha is not so great.  I can't bind in pasasana without A LOT of help.  I have a hard time keeping my feet in supta vajrasana - it's been almost a year that I've even tried since I didn't have anyone to help me.  Jumping into bakasana B is coming back but it's been gone for almost two years.  So!  There's a ton to work on.

G also asked this week if I'd be interested in assisting.  He's doing an apprenticeship program for 2 or 3 people.  It's very tempting.  I can tell that he has a lot to teach.  But I'm afraid that my own practice will really suffer.  I'll have to talk to him about it some more and see what we can do.  I don't want to miss out on the opportunity, but I also don't want to over extend myself.

And finally, this is what the Schuylkill looked like last night after some quick heavy rainstorms in the area

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you've got a yoga community in Philly now. I'm going to be down there in January for work, so hopefully you can show me a good yoga night out :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.