Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sweaty Sunday Mysore Monday

This post was actually from earlier in the week.  The internet was down, so I didn't get to post until just now!  Whoops!


Practice this morning was delightful!  The room was hot and humid and sweaty. I felt after the practice like I had been wrung out. 
We started practice today with a puja mantra to Ganesha: Om gum ganapataya namaha.  We chanted it 108 times.  G says that Guruji recommended doing puja two days after the new and full moons.  I wonder why it was two days after instead of the day after.  He also said that fasting 11 days after the new and full moons was recommended.  However, Guruji didn’t recommend much else in the way of fasting and cleansing.  According to G, he thought those practices were reserved for illness.  Doing them while healthy could make you sick.  That made me think of my vitamin B12 problem last fall.  I suspected that part of it was due to the fact that I was eating kichari even when I wasn’t on a cleanse.  It was probably too extreme. 
Tomorrow I start Mysore practice at the Shala.  I’m very excited to practice alongside other yogis. Besides my Sunday practice in Lexington and the occasional Mysore practice when traveling, I haven’t been in a Mysore room for well over a year.  I’m thrilled to be starting my day this way again. 
G wants me to start by practicing primary so that he can see my practice. Then we’ll start putting back the intermediate poses “after a while.”  This makes me a little nervous.  What’s “a while?”  A week, a month, a year?  I’ve been working hard on my intermediate postures. The ego isn’t nuts about letting them go.  Nonetheless, I’m looking forward to it and can’t wait to see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.