At our introductory meeting several weeks ago, he gave us our reading list. We are to start with Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K Pattabhi Jois through the Eyes of His Students. It's a book that I've been wanting to read for a while but had put off because of the cost. Fortunately, Penn had a copy in its library. I think I'm the first person to check it out. I've been reading it since Wednesday. So far, I've read the interviews with David Williams, Manju Jois, Nancy Gilgoff, Brad Ramsey, and Tim Miller. These are some of the themes that are repeating that resonate with me:
- The practice just makes sense.
- The practice gives you a sense of quiet and serenity.
- The practice is about moving energy, not bodies.
- Sometimes the practice will make you cry.
- Big egos don't do well in this practice.
- All kinds of bodies can do this practice.
I'll have a lot of time to read over this weekend. Hurricane Irene is barreling up the coast towards Philly!