Saturday, October 29, 2011

Real? Fantasy?

It's interesting that many of the blogs that I read are commenting on this article on the "real" cost of yoga only a day after an interesting conversation on discernment in the yoga apprenticeship that I'm participating in and just after my "yoga stuff" post.  I guess we're all thinking a bit about the material these days.

The article would be nice if it were called something like the "The Cost of a Fantasy Yoga Year." I would love to do many of the things listed in this article.  I have not because I cannot afford such things.  That doesn't make my yoga any less "real."  I would say that it makes it more so.

I have had very inexpensive yoga years.  Last year, when I lived in Kentucky, I maybe spent $45 on yoga.  I had a home practice and a yoga journal subscription and would pay for classes only when I traveled.  The year that my husband went to Albania, I was able to practice yoga for free by offering to do work study at the yoga studio.   If yoga costs a lot, it's because people choose to make it expensive.  It doesn't have to be.

It makes me sad when I hear people say that they're uncomfortable practicing because it seems like everyone at a studio wears expensive yoga clothes.  Maybe one of the first steps to freedom through yoga, is to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.  I like expensive yoga clothes, sure, but I don't need them for my practice.  And, on principle, I like them less these days as they are moving more and more jobs overseas while increasing their prices.  But that's perhaps for another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.