Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Do these pants make my ass look like it has a superiority complex?

I'm back from a bit of a blogging hiatus.  The last month had me traveling to France and New Orleans for work.  My practice suffered from it.  I hid in shame.

Now, I'm back!  And the first thing I began reading about on the blogosphere is this nonsense about a certain company, that charges upwards of $98 for a pair of pants, foisting a certain controversial author upon its clientele.  

I've been reading with interest (perhaps too much interest) the commentary on the company's marketing decision.  There are people who hail as being a good move or at least honest and others who are ready to burn their synthetic pants in the streets. 

I happen to fall into the latter camps.  I'll be the first to admit that I've never read AR.  I don't care to. Why?  Because her supporters are so obnoxious, that I'd rather not be associated in any way.  So, this is in fact not a criticism of AR or AR's philosophy.  One day I'll read some of her books, and possibly even be mildly entertained.  In the meantime, I'll steer clear of her cheerleaders.  

Here's what I find particularly obnoxious in the views of her supporters:
  • Money = greatness
  • People who have money have it because they are superior to other people (not for instance, because they happen to be lucky or have means and support to begin with that allow them to take risks that make them rich).
  • Being rich is in and of itself a value.
  • If you are rich, you are a priori contributing to society at a higher level than those who are not.
  • If you disagree with their views, it's because you are mediocre, quite a convenient argument to end any conversation.
  • Eff the little guy.

I was already considering a boycott of the company when I saw that they had again raised their prices.  In light of the recession, I felt this was particularly greedy.  Following this episode, I am definitely going to boycott any new purchases.  I have already thrown out my reusable shopping bags.  Don't be confused.  This is not because I believe that companies shouldn't have a philosophical or political bent.  I don't care. But if I don't agree with their view, I'm sure as hell not going to advertise their product. 

As for the clothing on which I've spent a considerable fortune, I'll continue to wear them because:
  • I don't have the money to buy a new yoga wardrobe.
  • It would be wasteful to get rid of an entire wardrobe.
  • They're good freaking yoga clothes and I need to do some research to find comparable quality (come on Prana, Hard Tail, Inner Waves - can you give a girl some gusset?  I can stand feeling like my pants are slicing me in half!)
  • They make my ass look great.  Just kidding on that last one, a little. 
What do you think?  Am I overreacting?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.