Monday, February 6, 2012

Diverse Thoughts

Today is the last day that I will be 35 years old.  Hmm.  Interesting.  Tomorrow I will be 36.  Will that be any different?  I doubt it. The big difference was between 29 and 30.  I feel like now everything will be same same for a while.

For the first time in maybe a year, I did full primary AND my intermediate postures.  It felt wiggly and wet and divine.  At Mari C, G asked if I was taking a Super Bowl practice.  I said, "No silly.  I'm taking the whole thing."  He laughed.  I only did 10 drop backs which means that 36 are coming on Wednesday.  After the full practice, I had to make a choice between 36 drop backs and taking my calves.  I chose the calves. 

G is back!  Hooray.  I get adjustments again.  My poses didn't deteriorate in his absence.  

I bought a new bag today from Corporate Yoga.  I had been using the same bag for a very long time.  Despite many washings, it permanently stinks from sweat and rain.  It was time.  This new bag is BIG.  I'm very excited about it. 

Final thought, "Remember the teachings, if not the teacher."  This comes from an Elephant Journal post in reaction to the scandal that is surrounding the head of another style of yoga.   That line, "remember the teachings, if not the teacher" really struck a cord with me.  The first yoga class I ever took was in France.  I really enjoyed it and my teacher seemed to like me.  After a few months, he told me that he was studying Thai massage and asked if I could help him with an article that was in English.  Then he asked if he could practice on me.  That was all fine.  But at our second "practice" session, he made a very overt and completely inappropriate pass at me.  I told him to stop and ended the session and never returned to his yoga class.  This was in May and I was set to go home in June anyway. 

I often wondered why I continued with yoga when I returned to the States, despite this rather unpleasant encounter and have never quite been able to articulate it.  I think this line "Remember the teachings, if not the teacher" sum it up perfectly.  Even though this man turned out to be rather despicable, what he taught in his yoga classes was not.  The yoga resonated with me beyond the man who was teaching it.

This is also why communities of Ashtanga yoga can survive many changes in teachers.  I saw this at BBY and I see it here at Shanti. Students do become attached to an individual teacher.  But when that person moves or goes to India to study, the students continue their practice with new teachers, because the yoga is larger than the individual presenting it to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.