Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Cleanse is Over - Long Live the Cleanse!

I ended my spring cleanse this week.  It was overall a fairly intense experience this time around.  Here are some of the lessons that I learned:

It is hard to turn inward when so much is demanded of you from the outside.  The first week was fairly smooth going.  In part, I chalk that up to an easy week at work.  It was spring break and our students were away.  The second week was much tougher as my workload increased significantly.

Allow flexibility.  Spring arrived early in Philadelphia this year (Did winter even show up this year?).  With the warm weather, I mixed in some salads instead of kitchari.  It just felt like the right thing to do.  I dressed them with a squeeze of fresh lemon. 

Come off a cleanse gradually for more sustained results.  This is the first cleanse that I didn't end with complete dietary sabotage.  I'm making healthier choices because of it. 

Cleansing is not just physical.  In theory, I knew this.  In practice, I have a tendency to focus on the physical level.  This week I felt more empathetic towards people who usually cause me to lose my patience.  I felt kinder and generally more satvic in my practice on and off my mat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.