Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 6 - A little off and Yoga Stops Traffick

Yesterday will not go down in history as the most glorious day in Ayurvedic cleansing.  I lost my iPhone and then discovered through the miracle of technology that someone had taken advantage of me losing it and was enjoying it in Baltimore. Fantastic.  I hope you enjoy your new iPhone.  I wasn't quite upset by this.  I probably make and receive a total of 5 phone calls a week.  I probably don't even need a phone.  And I have an old one that I'll be able to have reactivated.  I was just exhausted by it; exhausted first from looking for it all over my house, exhausted from trying to figure out online how to track it, and exhausted by the thought of what I'd need to do to reactivate the old phone.  Though it seems trivial now, staying on the cleanse was going to be one more exhausting thing that I would need to do last night.

So, I fell off.  I won't go into the gory details.  My falling off was not quite as egregious as eating an entire pizza but not quite as "innocent" as eating a tiny square of chocolate.  I went to bed thinking that that would be it for this season.

When I woke up, my mind had changed. This too could be an experiment!  I had never had such a trial with the cleanse.  What would do this do to my body and my state of mind?  And so, I'm picking back up where I left off.  I took my last dose of ghee this morning and am gearing up for castor oil tomorrow.

_____________________________________

On an unrelated note, I participated in Yoga Stops Traffick this morning at Yoga Mala Shala.  My teacher and another local teacher organized this event in Philly as part of the global Yoga Stops Traffick event to raise awareness about human trafficking in India and to raise funds for Odanadi, an organization in Mysore that supports the healing process of women and children who have been removed from the grips of sex trafficking.  My role was to teach a round of 18 (of the 108) sun salutations.  A few people came out from the community, but volunteers far outnumbered the participants. It could have been a disaster. But my teacher handled it in such a beautiful way.  2 people or 200 wouldn't make a difference.  The spirit of the event was really moving. All the volunteers, none of whom really planned on practicing, rolled out their mats in solidarity with the few participants who showed up. Instead of adjusting between our turns teaching, we took turns participating in the sun salutations.  It was moving to think of the analogy of the mala necklace.  Each of the participants was one little bead. Each sun salutation represented a larger community bead. Our collective 108 suns represented still another larger bead on the necklace with all the other studios participating.  And so on into infinity.  Every day I am grateful for this practice and what it has brought into my life.  To share in that with others in such an interconnected way is such a gift.  Namaste to everyone participating today and everyone who is benefiting from our efforts.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.