Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kanjee - Not the Japanese Letter Things - It's What's for Everything

Kanjee is taken when one is feeling ill or just needs a break on the digestive track.   I'm taking it today because I'm in a "purging" stage of my cleanse and need something gentle to eat.  I'm kind of proud of myself (BEWARE! Ego alert!) because this is actually the first time I'm finishing the purging appropriately.  That might be because I've never been a huge fan of kanjee (well, never, as is since I learned about it maybe 3 years ago).  I've changed up my teacher's recipe a bit but the base amounts of rice and water remain the same.  Here it is:

1 cup rice (soaked over night - I learned today that this step makes a big difference!)
10 cups water
1 tbs coconut oil
1 nub of ginger grated
1 tbs sweet spice mix from Kate's page

Combine the rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer for one hour and stir occasionally.  In a small pan, combine coconut oil ginger and spice mix and heat until fragrant (careful not to burn).  Add the oil/spice combo to the rice.  Eat hot with maybe a drizzle of raw honey (unorthodox!). 

No picture accompanies this because it's just a bland looking white porridge.  But in this case, bland is the desired effect. 

5 comments:

  1. So... It's almost like Pongal (Kitcheri)? Minus the pulse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you said that! Yes, it's like that with a bit more water in the cooking, no pulse (lentils/mung beans), and no veggies. I decided on the coconut oil/warming spices combo to take it closer to the sweet side. My husband said it reminds him of cream of wheat.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I love kanjee and was craving this when I was sick but couldn't remember where I put the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in kerala, kanji is made either with parboiled rice, or broken whole grain rice (this is similar in texture to cream of wheat). the gruel is quite starchy. often it is served with grated coconut added to the kanji. for those that make a full meal of kanji, cow peas is boiled along with rice. a spoon of ghee stirred in makes it just a bit more special. with a side of salted mango or lime pickles. mm..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shivan, that sounds really good...maybe a little more savory than what I made. I will try your recipe next time.

      Delete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.