Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kitchari - It's What's for Dinner

I think I have finally perfected my recipe for kitchari.  Here's what it looks like these days:

1 tbs ghee
1 tbs Kapha spice mix (from Eat, Taste, Heal)  or appropriate spice for your type
some salt
1 cup rice
1 cup lentils or mung dahl
1 cup veg (my favorite is sweet potato, though as a kapha dominant type, I should really steer clear and go for greens!)


Soak the rice and lentils together over night.  Heat the ghee and spices until fragrant, but be careful it doesn't burn.  Drain the lentils and rice and add to the ghee and spices.  Give it a stir.  Add 3 cups or more (depending on how soupy you like it) water.  Bring to boil and turn down to simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Stir frequently to prevent sticking.  Serve warm. 

_________________

Bonus (a not really a recipe recipe)!

It was warm here a few days ago which put me in the mood for raw food (cooked is usually a strong preference for me).  I made a lovely salad with the following:

Radish Sprouts
Avocado
Tomato
Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms

Dressed with lemon juice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.