Monday, April 9, 2012

I can't be trusted...I love my yoga practice!

Steve over at the Confluence Countdown postulates that one who loves her practice can't be trusted or they have "disturbing relationships to their bodies."

First, I'd like to say that I know Steve is being somewhat facetious and probably trusts a few people who do love the practice.  I'm only responding to his post in the spirit of good fun.

But his post gave me pause.  After reading it I thought, "Can I really call what I feel for my practice love?"

Unequivocally, the answer is yes.  Yes, I definitely do love my practice.  I experience my challenging moments, sure.  There are days when I don't want to get on my mat and once I'm there, I'm just going through the motions.  There are days when after 5 sun A's and 5 sun B's, my back still feels like it's gunked up, and the hamstrings feel hard and dead.  There are days when I can't bind in supta kurmasana on my own (every day since I got the posture come to think of it) and days when I'm internally cursing at my inability to jump into a pose after attempt after attempt after attempt.

And those days far out number the smooth sailing graceful days that maybe come once a year on that perfect hot July morning.  And yet...I still show up and do the practice every single day.

I give it my all because I know what it gives to back to me in my life off the mat.  So I show up through thick and thin, stick through the rough times, and savor the good moments.  And if that isn't love, then I don't know what is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.