Wednesday, May 16, 2012

experiences are better than things

I struggled for a long time with buying things.  I would amass things to hide my insecurities.  The rush of going to the mall and acquiring a bunch of stuff was always followed by remorse. Eventually, this led to a serious debt problem.

I still like things.  I still enjoy window shopping. And occasionally, I obsess over an object not purchased.  So I started to make my mantra "experiences are better than things."

Using this mantra, I'm able to forgo buying a new pair of shoes because I remember that I will want that money later for travel, yoga workshops, and dinners out with friends.

I'm looking forward to these upcoming experiences:  Saturday primary at Dhyana yoga with Tim Miller, Kino MacGregor weekend workshop in June, and Dark Shadows next week with work buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.