Saturday, May 5, 2012

What Are You Ready to Burn Down (not literally!!)

In the apprenticeship meeting a few weeks ago we had an interesting discussion about non-attachment.  Someone mentioned a quote by a Swami somebody along the lines of "When you are ready to burn down your house, then you are ready for (non-attachment)".

This really gave me pause.  I don't actually own a house, or anything else for that matter. But I began to substitute other things in my life: certain relationships, certain "needs", etc.    And I began to realize that I'm not as un-attached as I like to believe myself to be. 

What would be most difficult for you to "burn down"?  If you're not sure, try this.  When we do our cleanse, we are to take one day to "fast."  It doesn't have to be from food.  It can be from t.v., internet, phone, gossip.  A good way to determine what you need to fast from is to consider it. The first thing to pop into your mind is probably the thing that you would best be served fasting from.  But you'll likely continue to look for other things.

The same applies to this larger question.  So what's your biggest obstacle to practice non-attachment?

1 comment:

  1. The hardest thing to "burn down?" Probably my daily Mysore practice, lol, especially with Kate as a teacher. Seriously, sometimes I consider the possibility of other jobs until I consider that they might interfere with the morning Mysore practice...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, lol. What do I need to fast from? That's an easy one, don't even need to think twice about it--the internet (specifically the Facebook)!

    What's my biggest obstacle to practicing non-attachment? Hmmm...good question, I'll have to think about that one some more...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.