Friday, June 15, 2012

11 days of practice; some Kino thoughts; two recipes

All right.  I'm squatting the husband's computer for a few minutes to get some thoughts out there.

Today was my 11th straight day of practice!  I didn't realize it until I felt an overwhelming gratitude this morning to do primary.  With the workshop, I have practiced 8 intermediates and 3 primaries since the last moon day.  It definitely felt good to fold forward a lot today.  Tomorrow: oil bath and rest!

Kino takeaways:
*  Using the bandhas we are constructing an internal hearth in which we burn (tapas).  We can use that hearth to burn the things that are harming us, not helpful, in our way, etc.  But that's not all.  Eventually everything goes into the hearth.  Even things you can least imagine throwing in there.

*  Hanging back in backbends with the arms overhead for a few breaths is an excellent way to move into deep backbends and open the shoulders without bearing weight on them.  I hung like this in kapotasana this week for five breaths before bringing my hands to the floor and definitely felt more open in the shoulders and stronger in the legs. 

And...in case you didn't know...the shala asked me to assist Kino in the Sunday morning mysore style segment of the workshop.  It was a tremendous honor for me to work in the room with her and definitely gave me a different perspective on her from a teaching angle. 

I would definitely recommend practicing with her to anyone serious about Ashtanga or even Vinyassa.  It has been a yoga-lifelong dream of mine to practice with this amazingly talented teacher and I was not disappointed.

Finally, I was inspired this week by foods I saw in the store and received in my organic delivery box to make these two super simple recipes:

Asian style slaw with radicchio
one head of radicchio - chopped
1:1:3 ratio of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil
some flax seeds for garnish and crunch

Mix it all together.  This was great as a side dish and also awesome the next day on baguettes with other goodies for a banh mi style sandwich.


Carmelized Onion, Brie and Mushroom "Flatbread"
3-4 tortillas
one large onion - sliced
1/4 stick (or more) of butter
sliced mushrooms
brie
anchovies (optional)

Melt butter in pan.  Add onions and let cook down low and slow until carmelized.  In another pan or on a griddle, heat tortillas.  Add slices of brie, some sliced mushrooms, and 3 anchovies.  Cover with carmelized onions.   Serve with a salad.  Now.  If I had more time and energy tonight, I would have used naan instead of tortillas.  I'm sure you can use lots of things.

Oh, and the juicing!  I almost forgot about the juicing.   We bought an inexpensive juicer.  It's noisy, but it gets the job done.  So far, my favorite combo has been small nub of ginger, cucumber, carrot, celery, and apple.  I've been following my friend's recommendation of 3 veggies to one fruit. 






Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the juicing with three veggies to one fruit. I'll have to grab an inexpensive juicer and try this :). What would Spinach go well with in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Spinach doesn't have much flavor of its own. I might try something like spinach, celery, cucumber, and blueberries. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.