Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lunacy and the BG

The new moon is on Tuesday.  I was definitely feeling it this morning.  Everything was sore and heavy, so very very heavy.  Though I made a promise to myself to not move near the wall for pincha, the hips were just not going to go over the shoulders without that little reassurance.  Oof. 

The urge was there to just throw in the towel after pasasana. But I decided to go with the sentiment of the day and move into the postures slowly and with awareness. The result was a rather juicy and satisfying practice. 

I have always been affected by the moon even before I knew about "moon days."  I'm glad that this practice makes room to honor the effects of the moon's energy on the body.  It's one more way to honor our connection to the greater universe.  Tim Miller has an excellent explanation here http://www.ashtangayogacenter.com/moon.html.


In self-study news, I just finished reading the Bhagavad Gita.  Do I completely understand it?  Not really.  But here's what I've taken from it:

*  You can't/shouldn't shirk your duty, whatever that happens to be.
*  You're not in charge.  Your decisions to do or not do mean very little.  Everything has already been done.
*  It is important to act.  You can control your own actions.  But you can't control their outcomes.  Even so, you should act without attachment for the fruits of your action. 


Wow!  This is some deep stuff. Of course, there's a lot more to it than this. 


2 comments:

  1. I applaud you finishing the Bhagavad Gita. I think I managed to get through about 5 pages once. I need to get my butt back to reading it though. What translation do you have, if I may ask?

    Thanks
    Brianna
    http://travels-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a translation by Winthrop Sargeant. I like it because it breaks each verse down line by line with the sanskrit transliteration.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.