Sunday, June 17, 2012

response to grimmly's questionnaire

Grimmly recently posted a fun questionnaire that was inspired by a reader's comment/questions.  Here are my answers (I cut some questions that didn't apply to me):

Your Practice

Asana
1. What approach to/style(s) of asana do you currently practice?
Ashtanga yoga with the occasional Yin practice to supplement

2. What time do you practice?
6:30am - 8:30 am give or take 15 minutes

3. Where do you practice?
4. How long do you practice for?
Anywhere from 1.5-2 hours depending on how slow I'm practicing and if I'm throwing in "research" poses.

5. How many times do you practice 
a. per day
once

b. per week
6

Pranayama
6. Do you practice pranayama?
not regularly, though I would argue that the breathing technique of ashtanga is at least a gateway to pranayama.  

7. Which pranayamas do you practice?
When I do practice pranayama, I do it as part of the "4 purifications" -   Alternate nostril breathing and kapalabhati 

8. How long do you practice pranayama?
20 minutes

9. When do you practice pranayama? 
evenings/weekends

10. How long have you practiced pranayama?
off and on for several years 

Pratyahara

11. Do you include pratyahara in your practice?
Not specifically, though some Ashtanga poses do introduce this

12. what approach to pratyahara do you take?
Meditation
13. Do you practice meditation?
Not as much as I'd like to seated, though my ashtanga practice is a moving meditation

14. What approach to/style of meditation do you practice?
focus on the breathe

15. Where do you meditate?
in my bedroom in front of my altar
16. How many times do you meditate
a. per day?
b. per week?
once, maybe 

17. How long do you meditate for?
20-30 minutes

Reflection
18. Do you take time to formally reflect on your asana, pranayama, pratyahra, meditation practice? 
occasionally

19. When do you reflect asana, pranayama, pratyahra, meditation?

Directly after

Textual study

22. Do you study carefully any 'Yogic' texts?
Yes
23. Which texts do you study?
The Gita, the Sutras, Hatha Yoga Pradipika - and modern biographies/writings on the practice
24. When do you study?
At night

Yamas and Niyamas
25. How familiar are you with the yamas and niyamas?
very

26. Do you make a particular effort to practice them?
Yes.  

27. Do you reflect at the end of the day on how well you have practiced them?
Yes.  I am more often than not disappointed.  But that's why I try to bring myself back to them day after day.

General

28. How long have you been practicing Yoga?
11 years - 8 years of Mysore style Ashtanga Yoga

29. Have you ever attended a teacher training or teaching intensive course
Yes,  I have completed a 200 hour teacher training in Vinyassa with David Vendetti and most recently a 500 hour teacher training with Greg Nardi - I've also done a 40 hour training with David Swenson.


30. Have you attended a retreat or workshop and if so how many?
Oof.  A lot :)  I've done workshops with my own teachers, as well as visiting teachers (Gilgoff, Swenson, Miller, Feldmann, MacGregor, Doane, Bhavani Maki (sp?))  I hope I'm not missing anyone, but I probably am.

Chanting
31. Do you practice chanting?
Yes!  I love it.  I am tone deaf (no exaggeration) and this gives me a good excuse to belt it out!

32. When do you chant?
Every morning before practice - opening invocation - occasionally during my home seated practice.

33. How long do you chant?
depends 

34. Where do you chant?
At home - at the shala

35. Which chants do you practice?
opening and closing invocations - the sutras (I'm working on memorizing the first chapter - so far, up to 16)

Dates
36. When did you begin your asana practice?
2001 in France
39. When did you begin to pay particular attention to the yamas and niyamas?
Probably when I began chanting the sutras, which was with my teacher Scot Hendricks in maybe 2005?

40. When did you begin to formally reflect on your practice?
Very early on.  It has always been a subject of curiosity and interest to me. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this have added a link on my blog, couple on there now. Glad you found it fun to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Grimmly! I always enjoy your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and nice read about the interview of grimmly.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.