Thursday, June 7, 2012

Separation Anxiety

Today was my last practice with Greg Nardi before he sets off on his world travels.  His teaching has made a huge impact on me through daily practice and the 500 hour training I completed with him.  I don't really know how to express the sadness I feel at his leaving.  I began practicing with him at a very challenging time in my life.  So, I will always associate his teaching with helping me through this rough year. 

However, I know that unlike other forms of yoga that are so dependent on the teacher, the Ashtanga practice exists above and beyond any individual teacher.  It is a constant even as its interpretations vary from person to person. 

There's probably more to say about this, but I've never been particularly good at expressing my emotions or talking about my learning/teaching process.  It would probably be a good exercise for me to sort this out a bit more. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree it's hard when you first go it alone without a favourite teacher. My training is through the Iyengar tradition. When I first started a home practice, I just let my teacher's voice run through my head. I'm never really alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, prairiediva. Fortunately, another teacher has stepped in to fill the leaving teacher's place, so I don't have to go it alone. But I once did (about two years ago for a year while living in Kentucky) and know what you mean about having the teacher's voice in your head. And with a solid practice like Ashtanga or, I imagine Iyengar, you are never truly alone, as you say. There are people the world over sharing in the practice with you. It's such a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.