Sunday, December 29, 2013

Weak Legs!

First, over 30,000 views on my blog!  Say what?!  I know that's probably not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still quite humbled.  Namaste intraweb strangers.  Thanks for taking a peek at my thoughts.

.....

During the teacher training with Greg Nardi, I remember him saying that if you look at all of the really accomplished practitioners, you'll notice they all have really solid strong legs.  So much of the practice focuses on building a strong grounded foundation.  All the series start with the same standing poses. 

Let strength is one area where I am suddenly suffering as I try to work back to my pre-pregnancy practice.  I feel the weakness especially in parsarita padotanasana and in backbending.  There seem to be two things at play.  First, the hip flexers are super tight and stiff.  The joints still feel all out of wack which makes the legs feel like jelly.   Second, the legs are just weaker.  Mary Flinn pointed out the way my heels are flopping out in my chaturangas these days.  

After so many months of softening and opening, I need to work on pulling everything back to center.  Mula bandha needs to come back.  Sometimes, I see hints of it.  But I need to work towards consistency.

Speaking of consistency, that's one of my goals for the new year, working towards a consistent at least 4 day a week practice. I've carved out a little practice space at work to ensure that I get on my mat daily.

Hopefully, with a more consistent practice, the legs will return!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.